London, Day 6 – Aquarium

October 11, 2012 – Thursday

We were definitely settling into London – on this day, we woke up around noon after a night of Macallans and martinis. After seeing the aquariums in Tokyo and Paris, I wanted to check out the aquarium in London, so I went online and booked some tickets. Then, we tried to decide where to eat. That night when we went walking after Pizza Express, we walked past a Chinese restaurant called Chop Chop Noodle Bar that looked interesting. After checking online to make sure it wasn’t completely shitty, we decided to go and give it a try.

Chop Chop Noodle Bar - Curry Chicken w/ Fried Rice
British-style Chinese: Curry Chicken w/ Fried Rice

I’m used to Americanized Chinese food, but this was anglicized Chinese food, and it was pretty good, IMO (JC would beg to differ). It’s great eating greasy Chinese food after a night of drinking. After the meal, we made our way back to Euston Road and waited to take the 59 again to get to County Hall and the aquarium.

Turns out that this was a pretty good aquarium in its own right. My favorite exhibit had to be the Ray Lagoon, an open pool where various rays (and some complementary fish) swam up to you in search of food. I stayed at this exhibit for quite some time, watching the fish and majestic rays swim about.

There were also a few freshwater displays, but I was disappointed that some of them used artificial plants. The main message was one of environmental conservation, so maybe the use of such plants was appropriate.

Conveniently, right across the exit to the aquarium was a McDonald’s. After being on our feet for a few hours, we stopped here for a quick rest and a bite to eat. There was some banter going on between the cashier and her coworker, and then she turned to me and asked me in a really strong British accent if I agreed; I had no idea what she was saying, so I just smiled and nodded.

We walked across Westminster Bridge and took obligatory photos of the London Eye, Big Ben, and the Palace of Westminster. When we got to Westminster Abbey it started pouring, but we were prepared with an umbrella and continued all the way to Victoria station before taking the Tube back to Euston.

After a long day of doing touristy stuff, we winded down with a nice, quiet dinner at a sushi restaurant in a residential area near our hotel. That night, I researched and booked everything for our next stop, Scotland.

Next: London, Day 7 – British Museum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *