Day 11

It is day 11 since we have moved into our new place, and I’m sitting on our IKEA couch eating a slice of Sara Lee coffee-flavored (or should I say flavoured?) pound cake while drinking Rickshaw black tea out of my Guinness Foreign Extra mug. I had bought the box of Rickshaw tea bags on the first day that we were in Hong Kong. The Guinness mug was a promotional gift that came with the 4-pack that I bought on the first day that we moved in. The IKEA couch arrived exactly one week ago, and the Sara Lee was an impulse buy a couple of days ago when we were at the supermarket right before dinner time.

From the Rickshaw to the Guinness to the Sara Lee, we have covered a period of just over 3 weeks. It is hard to believe that it has only been that short an amount of time when I think of all the things that we have done, like buying furniture and daily necessities and doing other typical move-in things. One fun project was going to the computer mall to buy parts so that I could put my desktop back together. Some not-so-fun activities involved fixing several material issues with the apartment. Tonight is actually the first time I’ve been able to sit down on the couch and relax, a sign that things are finally slowing down and that we’re finally settling in. I like it.

I finally opened the bottle of Lagavulin that I had pledged not to until we had our own place in Hong Kong. I originally bought it from Costco on November 29, 2011. We moved in on March 6, 2013. Not bad at all, not bad at all. In the end, I decided not to open it with too much fanfare. I didn’t even video or photograph it. I just opened it like any other bottle of Scotch, poured it into my Glencairn glass, sniffed it, and then enjoyed it. It was immensely gratifying, especially considering all the occasions when I wanted to cheat and open the bottle before we were in Hong Kong.

Now, the next task will be to find myself a job. It’s a scary thought, since I haven’t worked in nearly a year. If I had to give advice to myself, I would remind myself that 3 weeks ago things looked scary as well. We didn’t know what the future would hold, where we would live, how we would cope. But now, we’re doing just fine. And, who knows? Three weeks from now I might already be slaving away at my new job, waking up at 6 in the morning, squeezing onto a bus during the morning commute. Sounds like fun. Bring it on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *